Registration of persons living outside of Kenya (diaspora) is happening from 20th February to 6th March, 2017.
- Be a Kenyan citizen,
- Be 18 years of age and above,
- Have a valid Kenyan passport
- Be of sound mind.
- Not have been convicted of an election offence during the preceding five years
- It gives you an opportunity to vote and elect leaders of your choice.
- It allows you to vie for any elective position in Kenya
- It gives you moral authority to hold elected leaders accountable
- An eligible voter must present himself or herself to the registration officerwith his/her valid passport at the designated registration centre during working hours.
- The applicant fills the Application for Registration form (Form J)
- Registered voters will be issued witha registration acknowledgement slip bearing the voter’s details.
- However, this slip will not be a requirement for voting.
- When you are under 18 years of age
- When you are not in possession of a valid Kenyan passport
- When one is un-discharged bankrupt
- When you have been found guilty by an election court or reported to be guilty of any election offence during the preceding five years.
- If a competent court declares you to be of unsound mind
- Submit aphotocopy of the document you used in the last registration exercise
- Fill the request for transfer form
- Wait for the transfer to be effected after the registration exercise
Who conducts voter registration for all Kenyans?
The IEBC is mandated by the Constitution to register all eligible Kenyans as voters, prepare, maintain and revise the register of voters.
Where can i register as a voter?
The Kenyan Embassies, High Commissions and Consulates can be designated by the Commission as registration centres for Kenyans living outside the country. For purposes of 2017 Elections, the Commission will conduct voter registration in Bujumbura in Burundi, Arusha and Dar es Salaam in Tanzania, Kigali in Rwanda,Kampala in Uganda and Pretoria in South Africa.
When does voter registration take place in diaspora?
The Commission will conduct voter registration for Kenyan citizens residing in the 5 countries mentioned above from 20th February 2017 to 6th March 2017.
What is a register of voters?
This is the list of persons who are registered and entitled to vote. Only people whose names appear in the register of voters may participate in elections or referendum.
Who qualifies to register as a voter in diaspora?
In order to register as a voter, one must:
Why register as a voter?
How do you register as a voter?
When can one be denied registration?
What happens if an eligible voter registers more than once?
It is an offence to register more than once.
A person is allowed to register only once as a voter at the registration centre of his or her country of residence.
What is the penalty of registering more than once?
A Person who has registered more than once is liable on conviction, to a fine not exceeding one hundred thousand Kenya shillings or imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year or both. Such a person shall be barred from participating in the immediate election and the next that follows.
Can I transfer my voting station from Kenya to my country of Residence?
Yes! All you require is to;
Which elective positions will I be voting for?
A registered voter in diaspora will only be voting for a Presidential candidate of